Chris focuses his practice in the field of complex civil litigation, with special emphasis on the defense and representation of clients in the fields of business litigation, employment litigation, insurance coverage and litigation, product liability, trucking and transportation liability, and retail and premises liability. He represents numerous national insurance and business clients on a state-wide basis, and has successfully litigated cases throughout the North Carolina State and Federal courts. Chris has enjoyed success also at the appellate level, including the North Carolina Court of Appeals, the North Carolina Supreme Court, and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Chris is father to three active children (including two teenage girls!), and between carpool and practices, he finds time to be on the sparring team at Lee Brothers Tae Kwon Do. He is one level away from achieving black belt in tae kwon do with his son. When he’s not pretending to be Bruce Lee, Chris is an elder at Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church and helps run the elementary age Sunday School program. His other volunteer activities include assisting with Habitat for Humanity, the Special Olympics, and Meals on Wheels, for which he has been a regular driver since 1996. He also is a film aficionado, and when he can find time, he enjoys live music, cooking, running, golf, and the occasional game of Texas Hold-em.’
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., Yale Law School, 1992
- B.A., summa cum laude, Duke University, 1989
- North Carolina, 1993
- District of Columbia, 1995
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
Awards & Achievements
- Senior editor, Yale Law Journal
- Duke University Class Rank: 5th; Phi Beta Kappa; Recipient of Proctor and Gamble Political Science Award
- Law Clerk, The Honorable Thomas A. Wiseman, Jr., M.D. Tennessee, 1992-1993
Professional & Civic Activity
- Retail Practice Group; ALFA International
- Labor and Employment Practice Group; ALFA International
- N.C. Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Wake County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Litigation Section)
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Millbrook Baptist Kindergarten, 1998-2008
- President, Northbrook Country Club, 2003-2005
- Meals-on-Wheels Driver, 1996-Present
- “Children’s Sermon” Deliverer, Hudson Memorial Presbyterian Church
Publications & Presentations
- “A Practical Guide to North Carolina Insurance Law: Bad Faith Claims and Bad Faith Avoidance,” Insurance Law; co-author, April, 1996
- Mayo v. N.C. State University, 168 N.C. App. 503, 608 S.E.2d 116, affirmed 360 N.C. 52, 619 S.E.2d 502 (2005).
- McEwan v. Haver, 105 F.Supp.2d 474 (E.D.N.C.,2000).
- Obtained summary judgment, a favorable settlement, or a defense verdict in every premises liability case he has handled (including premises security and construction accident cases) since the start of his career;
- Obtained summary judgment for the defense in two racial discrimination cases, one of which was an employment case;
- Obtained summary judgment in three insurance coverage cases worth over $10 Million;
- Obtained a favorable ruling against a major municipality for a national client whose retail store had been flooded by a water main break, successfully arguing a novel theory of municipal liability for the break, and ultimately resulting in a favorable settlement for the client
Disclaimer: The above information may not necessarily reflect the attorney’s entire record, and the outcome of any particular future matter cannot be predicated on the attorney’s or law firm’s past results.