Bill has developed a co-emphasis on employment law and insurance law. On the employment side, he represents clients in a wide range of employment matters including lawsuits in state and federal courts; covenants not to compete; the formulation of policies to comply with the law; handling of disputes between employers and employees; supervisor training and seminars as to compliance issues; advice concerning employment practices liability insurance; preparation and updating of employee handbooks; drug testing; investigations by administrative agencies; arbitration and mediation; privacy and defamation in the workplace; discharge and discipline; and issues relating to discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, retaliation, OSHA, employment contracts and other related matters.
In his insurance law and regulation practice areas, Bill advises and represents insurance organizations and companies on regulatory matters, including compliance with laws and hearings and appeals before the North Carolina Insurance Department. These matters have concerned insurance ratemaking, interpretation of laws and regulation, licensing, insurance coverage issues and other related matters. Bill has an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Bill is an avid tennis player and was elected into the North Carolina Tennis Hall of Fame in 2016. He lettered three times on ACC champion teams, coached freshman/JV tennis teams while in law school, and has been state doubles champion in several age divisions.
Education & Bar Admissions
- L.L.M., with highest honors, George Washington University
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
Awards & Achievements
Professional & Civic Activity
- Chairman, Wake County Parks and Recreation Commission (previous)
- President, Capital Area Soccer League; (previous); member, Hall of Fame
- Vice President, North Carolina Tennis Foundation
- President, North Carolina Tennis Association; member, Hall of Fame
- Board member/Vice President, Environmental Education Fund
- Board member/Treasurer, ALFA International
Publications & Presentations
Bill was published three times in North Carolina Law Review and has been a speaker and author of materials on employment law at three N.C. Bar Association Seminars; a speaker and author of materials for several seminars sponsored by Lorman Educational Institute; a speaker and author of materials at two North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys seminars; a speaker and author of materials on employment law at several national and international seminars of ALFA International.
News & Events