David is a shareholder at Young Moore in Raleigh and focuses his practice on the healthcare and transportation industries. He educates and advises clients in matters pertaining to healthcare privacy and data security, breach notification and reporting requirements, and Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) compliance. David currently serves as the Interim Associate Compliance Officer and Director of Privacy of an Academic Medical Center in North Carolina.
David’s healthcare practice includes reviewing and developing HIPAA related policies and procedures, release of information procedure manuals and authorizations, business associate agreements, and employee training materials regarding privacy and security standards. David also assists healthcare providers and other covered entities with privacy and security incident investigations, as well as to ensure compliance with state and federal breach notification and reporting requirements.
In addition to his healthcare regulatory work, David maintains an active litigation practice where he advises and represents clients in state and federal court in a number of areas including trucking and transportation, products and premises liability, and business litigation.
David joined Young Moore and Henderson in 2012 after receiving his J.D. from Wake Forest University School of Law that year. While at Wake Forest, David was a member of the Moot Court Board and the Student Trial Bar Board. He was selected to represent the school as a member of both the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Team, and the National Moot Court Team. Prior to law school, David worked in sales at CDW in Chicago, IL. David earned a B.A. in History from Wake Forest University in 2007.
As a Double Deac, David is an avid Wake Forest sports fan. He is an Eagle Scout and also enjoys running, NASCAR, and spending time with his wife and four children.
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., Wake Forest University School of Law, 2012
- B.A., Wake Forest University, 2007
- North Carolina, 2012
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- Selected for inclusion in North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2017-2020) in the category of Rising Stars
- Philip C. Jessup International Moot Court Team; National Moot Court Team (WFU School of Law)
- CALI Award of Excellence: Criminal Procedure; Pre-Trial Practice and Procedure; Products Liability
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- American Health Information Management Association
- Wake County Bar Association, Young Lawyers Division, Executive Board Member (2012-2017)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Defense Research Institute
- WFU School of Law Rose Council (Young Alumni Board), Executive Committee
- Providence Baptist Church, Deacon
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout Award
Publications & Presentations
- “Common HIPAA Issues and Themes,” presented at annual meeting of Total Medical Compliance (TMC), July 2019
- “Is Your Facility a TPE Target? A Primer for CMS’s Latest Audit Initiative . . .,” YMH Blog, October 2018
- Premises Liability in North Carolina
- “Truck Accident Litigation,” National Business Institute Seminar, speaker and author, Charlotte, NC, October 2015
- “Damages in Personal Injury,” National Business Institute Seminar, speaker, Charlotte, NC, December 2014
- “Litigating Slip, Trip and Fall Cases in North Carolina- A Practical Legal Toolkit for Resolving One of the Most Commonly Disputed Injuries,” National Business Institute Seminar, speaker and author, Raleigh, NC, December 2014
- “Court Rules Lack of Appropriate Training Justifies Punitive Award in NC,” published in TIDA’s Newsletter (Summer 2013) and in NCADA’s monthly e-newsletter The Resource (July 2013)