Michael focuses his practice on the field of complex civil litigation, with an emphasis on the defense of trucking and transportation, product liability, premises liability, and insurance defense cases. He has dedicated a large portion of his practice to defending against wrongful death and catastrophic injury claims. As a member of the firm’s Transportation “Go Team”, Michael has substantial experience in coordinating emergency response and investigation of catastrophic losses throughout North Carolina. Michael also represents landowners and condemning authorities in condemnation/eminent domain cases.
Michael is licensed to practice in the North Carolina State Courts and Federal District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts. He represents numerous national clients on a state-wide basis and regularly represents and defends commercial motor carriers, business owners, product manufacturers, product distributors, and retail establishments.
Michael received his undergraduate degree from North Carolina State University and graduated cum laude from Campbell University’s Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law in 2007, where he served as Chief Articles Editor of the Campbell Law Review. He joined Young Moore and Henderson in 2008 and is an active member of the Trucking Industry Defense Association and North Carolina Trucking Association. He holds an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a Rising Star by North Carolina Super Lawyers (2014-2019), a category for attorneys age 40 and younger consisting of no more than 2.5% of North Carolina Attorneys. In his spare time, Michael enjoys spending time with his family, working outdoors, and cheering for the Wolfpack.
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., cum laude, Campbell University School of Law, 2007
- B.S., magna cum laude, North Carolina State University
- North Carolina, 2007
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- Raleigh Board of Adjustment (June 2018 – June 2020)
- ALFA International
- Product Liability and Complex Tort Practice Group, Steering Committee
- Trucking and Transportation Practice Group, Member
- Trucking Industry Defense Association
- 25th Annual Trucking Industry Defense Association Seminar, Program Chair
- North Carolina Trucking Association
- Emerging Leaders Program (2016-2017)
Publications & Presentations
- “Common Mistakes In Catastrophic Accident Investigation And How To Avoid Them,” Trucking Claims Boot Camp, Lloyd’s of London, July 2019
- “Common Mistakes In Catastrophic Accident Investigation And How To Avoid Them,” Trucking Claims Boot Camp, New Jersey, June 2019
- “Social Media Tips and Tricks for Pre-Litigation Claims,” ALFA International Product Liability and Complex Torts Seminar, Charlotte, North Carolina, April 2019
- “The Ethical Discovery of Social Media,” DRI Product Liability Conference,” presenter, Las Vegas, NV, 2015
- Panelist on “Best Practice Procedures: What to Say and Not Say After a CMV Incident,” North Carolina Trucking Association, Safety & Human Resources Council Meeting, January 20, 2015
- “Navigating the Internet: The Ethical Use of Social Media in the Trucking Litigation Context,” American Conference Institute’s 4th National Forum on Defending and Managing Trucking Litigation, presenter, Chicago, IL, 2014
- Assisted in obtaining summary judgment in favor of tire manufacturer based on application of North Carolina statute of repose where plaintiff’s demand exceeded $53 million.
- Obtained directed verdict in favor of motor carrier involved in multi-vehicle accident based on lack of admissible evidence of negligence.
Disclaimer: The above information may not necessarily reflect the attorney’s entire record, and the outcome of any particular future matter cannot be predicated on the attorney’s or law firm’s past results.