Mike Strickland serves as Of Counsel to the firm’s insurance regulatory practice group. His experience includes representing clients in the areas of insurance coverage, insurance regulatory matters, reinsurance and business litigation and appearing regularly before the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of North Carolina. Mike has 30 years of experience representing the North Carolina Rate Bureau, a statutory organization responsible for rates, loss costs and policy forms for automobile, property and workers’ compensation insurance in North Carolina and the North Carolina Reinsurance Facility, a statutory organization providing automobile liability coverage for risks that cannot obtain coverage in the voluntary insurance market.
Mike’s entire legal career has been with Young Moore and Henderson, where he served as managing partner of the firm from 1994 until February of 2017. He has an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
Mike and his wife Libby are the proud parents of two daughters and two grandchildren. His hobbies include golf, college athletics and trips to the North Carolina mountains.
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., cum laude, Wake Forest University School of Law, 1972
- B.A., Duke University, 1969
- North Carolina, 1972
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- Editor, Wake Forest Law Review, Wake Forest University School of Law
- Wake County Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- North Carolina Tenth Judicial District Bar Grievance Committee, former member
- United Cerebral Palsy of North Carolina, former member of Board of Directors
- North Ridge Country Club, former multi-term member of Board of Governors
- American Multimedia, Inc. v. Commercial Union Insurance, No. 1:97CV00906, U.S.D.C., Middle District of North Carolina (CGL coverage for unfair trade/anti-trust class action)
- N.C. Steel, Inc. v. National Council on Compensation Insurance, et al., 347 N.C. 627, 496 S.E.2d 369 (1998) (Class action unfair trade/anti-trust)
- Fortress Re, Inc. v. Central National Insurance Company of Omaha, 766 F.2d 163 (1985) (Reinsurance)
- Daniels v. Hertz Corp., 104 N.C.App. 411 S.E.2d 394 (1991) (Insurance coverage)
- Stonewall Ins. Co. v. Fortress Reinsurance Managers, 83 N.C.App 263, 350 S.E.2d 66 (1986) (Reinsurance)
- Moore v. Fieldcrest Mills, Inc., 296 N.C. 467, 252 S.E.2d 419 (1978) (Negligence)
- Reliance Ins. Co. v. Walker, 33 N.C.App. 15, 234 S.E.2d 206 (1977) (Insurance Coverage)
- Reliable Properties, Inc. v. McAllister, 77 N.C.App. 783, 336 S.E.2d 108 (1985) (Contract)
- State ex rel. Commissioner of Insurance v. North Carolina Rate Bureau (approximately 20 appellate decisions involving the regulation of insurance rates and forms in North Carolina)
Disclaimer: The above information may not necessarily reflect the attorney’s entire record, and the outcome of any particular future matter cannot be predicated on the attorney’s or law firm’s past results.