Jeff is an experienced employment and workers’ compensation litigator serving the healthcare, hospitality and retail, manufacturing, professional services, and transportation industries among others.
With over 20 years of experience, Jeff’s philosophy is to provide the highest quality client services while seeking to deliver the most satisfactory results in the most efficient manner available.
Jeff graduated with honors from the University of North Carolina School of Law in 1995, and joined the firm that same year. He is a shareholder, a former member of the firm management committee, and co-leader of his litigation team. Jeff has an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell.
In his spare time, Jeff is a passionate golfer, avid reader of historical novels and an enthusiastic Tar Heel sports fan. He and his wife, Kathleen, and their two sons live in Raleigh.
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., with honors, University of North Carolina School of Law, 1995
- B.A., with honors, University of California, Santa Barbara, 1992
- North Carolina, 1995
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. Supreme Court
- ALFA International, Workers’ Compensation Practice Group, Chairman, 2009-2011
- North Carolina Bar Association, Workers’ Compensation Section Council Member, 2008-2011
- North Carolina Bar Association, Labor & Employment Section
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Edenton Street United Methodist Church, Member
- Wake County Boys & Girls Clubs, Chair 2012 Annual Fundraising Campaign
Publications & Presentations
- Changing Employee Demographics, presented at ALFA International Workers’ Compensation seminar in Austin, TX, March 2017
- Successfully defended an employer from an employee’s allegation that his lung cancer was caused by low level gamma radiation exposure during his employment.
- Negotiated a favorable settlement on behalf of a Raleigh company alleged to have interfered with the contract of a competitor’s employee, and on behalf of the newly hired employee in defense of a claim for breach of a Non-Compete Agreement. Settlement allowed the company to continue to enjoy the benefits of the new employee’s services while also obtaining a release of any liability for the alleged breaches.
- Obtained a temporary restraining order in a matter of extreme urgency to protect confidential trade secrets when management-level employees of a Raleigh company left to set up a competing business. Subsequently, the parties agreed to a period of non-competition and the return of sensitive information including the cleansing of data storage devices, saving the company from competition by people previously entrusted with its well-being.
- Successfully defended a production worker’s claim for a cumulative trauma disorder, alleged to be an occupational disease under the Workers’ Compensation Act.
- Successfully defended, in Guilford County Superior Court, an attempt to extinguish a workers’ compensation lien on an employee’s settlement from a third-party tortfeasor, thereby reducing workers’ compensation costs for the employer.
- Whicker v. Compass Group USA, Inc., 369 N.C. 69, 793 S.E.2d 2258 (2016)
- Collins v. Seaton Corp. 240 N.C.App. 602, 772 S.E.2d 874 (2015)
- Spears v. Betsy Johnson Memorial Hosp. 210 N.C. App. 716, 708 S.E.2d 315 (2011)
- Reid v. Hospira, Inc., 210 N.C. App. 759, 711 S.E.2d 531 (2011)
- Hawkins v. General Electric Co., 199, N.C. App. 245, 683 S.E.2d 385 (2009)
- Golds v. Ryder Integrated Logistics, 184 N.C.App. 757, 646 S.E.2d 864 (2007)
- Legette v. Scotland Memorial Hospital, 181 N.C. App. 437, 640 S.E.2d 744 (2007)
- McMillan v. General Electric Co.,. 180 N.C. App. 237, 636 S.E. 2d 340 (2006)
- Butner v. Piedmont Triad Homes, Inc., 177 N.C. App. 462, 628 S.E.2d 867 (2006)
- Spears v. Betsy Johnson Mem. Hosp., 177 N.C. App. 148, 627 S.E.2d 684 (2006)
- Roberts v. Mills Mfg. Corp., 174 N.C. App. 625, 621 S.E.2d 340 (2005)
- Bursell v. General Electric Co., 172 N.C. App. 73, 616 S.E. 2d 342 (2005)
- Shoffner v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., 165 N.C. App. 905, 602 S.E.2d 727 (2005)
- Springer v. McNutt Service Group, Inc., 160 N.C. App. 574, 586 S.E.2d 554 (2003)
- Suttles v. Southeastern Health Facilities, 157 N.C. App. 143, 578 S.E.2d 326 (2003)
- Pollock v. Waspco Corp., 148 N.C. App. 381, 559 S.E.2d 567 (2002)
- Allen v. Roberts Elec. Contr., 143 N.C. App. 55, 546 S.E.2d 133 (2001)
- Calhoun v. Wayne Dennis Heating & Air Conditioning, 129 N.C. App. 794, 501 S.E. 2d 346 (1998)
Disclaimer: The above information may not necessarily reflect the attorney’s entire record, and the outcome of any particular future matter cannot be predicated on the attorney’s or law firm’s past results.