Susan is a shareholder at Young Moore and member of its health care practice team where she represents hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers in a variety of matters including medical malpractice defense and general liability. She also advises clients on avoiding and managing risk.
Susan began her legal career as a law clerk to Chief Judge Arnold at the North Carolina Court of Appeals following graduation from law school in 1997. She had an extensive career in private practice defending healthcare providers before accepting an appointment with the North Carolina Department of Justice in January of 2013 where she defended North Carolina state agencies in medical malpractice claims and other catastrophic injury cases. She returned to private practice joining Young Moore in August of 2017.
Susan is a native of Fayetteville, North Carolina and a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and the University of North Carolina School of Law. She has received an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubbell and is recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (2012) as a “Rising Star” in the area of medical malpractice.
Education & Bar Admissions
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law, 1997
- B.A., with distinction, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1994
- North Carolina
- Eastern District of North Carolina
- Middle District of North Carolina
- Western District of North Carolina
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubbell
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers (2012) as a “Rising Star” in the area of medical malpractice defense
- American Society of Healthcare Risk Management, North Carolina Chapter
- Susie Sharpe Inn of Court, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member of Litigation Section, Former member of Medico-Legal Liaison Committee, Past Chair of Young Lawyer’s Division Citizenship Education Committee
- Wake County Bar Association and Tenth Judicial District Bar, Former Member of Swearing In Committee
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys (NCADA)
Publications & Presentations
- “So Your Testimony Has Been Requested . . . .,” presenter, Annual Medical Staff Meeting of the Davis Regional Medical Center, Fall 2018
- “Pitfalls in Psychiatric Medicine and Tips to Avoid Them”- Cherry Hospital, April 2017 (CME)
- “The Anatomy of a Medical Malpractice Tort Claim”- NC Dept of Justice CLE Program, October 2015; Presentation for Risk Managers of State Government for the Public Officers Employees Liability Insurance Commission, Fall 2015