Bill has developed a co-emphasis on employment law and insurance law. On the employment side, he represents clients in a wide range of employment matters including covenants not to compete; the formulation of policies to comply with the law; handling of disputes between employers and employees; supervisor training and seminars as to compliance issues; employment practices liability insurance; employee handbooks; drug testing; investigations by administrative agencies; arbitration and mediation; privacy and defamation in the workplace; discharge and discipline; and issues relating to discrimination, harassment, wrongful discharge, wage and hour, retaliation, OSHA, employment contracts and other related matters.
In his insurance law and regulation practice areas, Bill advises and represents insurance organizations and companies on regulatory matters, including compliance with laws and hearings and appeals before the North Carolina Insurance Department. These matters have concerned insurance rates, interpretation of laws and regulation, licensing, insurance coverage issues and other related matters. Bill is a past board member and Treasurer of ALFA International, an international association of law firms. He has an AV Peer Review Rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has been recognized by Super Lawyers and other legal organizations. In 2018, he received a Lifetime Achievement Award from Who’s Who in America.
Bill is an avid tennis player and was inducted into the North Carolina Tennis Hall of Fame in 2017. He lettered three times on ACC champion teams, coached freshman/JV tennis teams while in law school, and has been state doubles champion in several age divisions. He has also been actively involved in recreational organizations including serving as Chair of the Wake County Parks and Recreation Commission; President of the Capital Area Soccer League for which he was inducted into its Hall of Fame; President of the North Carolina Tennis Association; and President of the North Carolina Tennis Foundation.
Education & Bar Admissions
- L.L.M., with highest honors, George Washington University
- J.D., University of North Carolina School of Law
- B.A., University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Military Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- North Carolina Law Review
- Morehead Scholar
- Wettach Scholar
- Phi Eta Sigma
- Listed in Business North Carolina Legal Elite™ (2008, 2009)
- Listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers® (2006-2013), Business Edition (2011 and 2013)
- Speaker at numerous state, national and international seminars
- Listed in Who’s Who in America™
- Wake County Parks and Recreation Commission, Past Chairman
- Past President, Capital Area Soccer League; Member, Hall of Fame
- Past President, North Carolina Tennis Association; member, Hall of Fame
- President, North Carolina Tennis Foundation
- Environmental Education Fund, Board Member/Vice President
- ALFA International, Board Member/Treasurer
- Volunteer, Southern Tennis Association and US Tennis Association
- Board member, Southern Tennis Foundation
Publications & Presentations
Bill was published three times in North Carolina Law Review and has been a speaker and author of materials on employment law at three N.C. Bar Association Seminars; a speaker and author of materials for several seminars sponsored by Lorman Educational Institute; a speaker and author of materials at two North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys seminars; a speaker and author of materials on employment law at several international seminars of ALFA International.