An Employee Has Just Reported a Work Injury. What’s Next?
Steps to take when an employee reports a work injury:
- Make detailed notes about how the injury occurred, and (if possible) obtain written witness statements.
- Have the employee complete and sign an accident report.
- Notify your workers’ compensation carrier immediately.
- Provide the employee with an injury claim form and contact information for your workers’ compensation carrier.
- Complete a North Carolina Industrial Commission Form 19, Employer’s Report of Injury.
- Review any available post-offer medical documentation to see if the employee reported problems with the body part he/she claims is injured.
- Make sure the employee is aware of your light-duty return to work policy.
- Get a post-accident drug test.
- Ensure supervisors are aware of, and abide by, any applicable light-duty work restrictions.
- Express sympathy. It’s OK to be nice!
For more information or assistance with a matter, please contact one of our workers’ compensation attorneys below or visit our website at www.youngmoorelaw.com.
Young Moore’s Workers’ Compensation team: